Thursday, 14 January 2010

Haiti and my pride

Two incidents that have been in my thoughts of late.


Haiti's devastation by earthquake has really pushed my pity/empathy button. The very graphic images of bodies caught in the rubble of buildings have revealed the devastation the country is going through. (Is it me, or does the media have no boundaries of what they will show? Is that really the only way that we in the Western world can be moved to compassion?) I've been thinking about Haiti, and will be asking that our God, who is a refuge, even when the mountains fall into the heart of the sea (Psalm 46:2) will remind the people there of His steadfast love in trying times.



I keep thinking about how proud I am.
How I don't like correction, particularly when it's from family.
My pride is most evident when I don't treat life like the refining fire that it is, but act like it's a habit.
My pride shows when I act like I know what I don't know but don't want to learn.
I don't like to ask for accountability, because it's risking the pain of a bad relationship.

Hmm.

No comments: