Monday, 23 March 2009

Nice... (job stuff)

It was the National Academy for Parenting Practitioners' away day today. That's where I work by the way. One of the perks about working for a government-funded organisation affiliated with King's College London is that you get the nicest venues for events, like our Christmas party, and now our away day. I love it. Today the venue was near Tower Bridge (which I do see everyday on my journey to work anyway, but the novelty has not yet worn off). Really posh stuff, but this time modern, not rustic.

It was fun, actually - nice to be out of the office for a day, and I got a really good picture of what the academy is about. It basically exists to help parents who don't have the resources to be better parents and raise children who are wonderful contributors to society. I think I'm on board with that. I don't think some of my colleagues were much helped by it though, but nobody could fault the food!

One of the team building activities was African drumming. In a nutshell, imagine lots of clueless academic types trying to force a rhythm out of (large and very heavy!) drums. We weren't too bad.

I won an award! 'Best newcomer' was me - I think thanks to the lovely team I am a part of at Denmark Hill. Made my day actually, as there are lots of newcomers (NAPP is a very new organisation) so the competition could have been tough.

I still can't get over God's amazing hand in how I got the job! It is one of the things that gives me joy, and allows me to share God's greatness to people. Basically, I was at my lowest when God used my friend Ibiere to slide me into the role. I can't even boast that I beat off many applicants at a role I saw advertised somewhere.

Message for me: God is KIND, and God answers prayer.

No comments: