Monday, 21 September 2009

Psalm 33

How often do I read the Bible to get out of it what I can for me? How often do I read the Bible to learn what I can of God's glory? I thought this this morning, when I read Psalm 33.

The verse that inspired me most was Psalm 33:18-19. Let's see if I can remember it:

"The eyes of the LORD are on those who fear Him,
on those whose hope is in His unfailing love,
to deliver them from death, and keep them alive in famine."*

I was really comforted by the whole Psalm as it talks about how God should be praised because He loves righteousness, and how he thwarts the plans of nations.

But I missed the wood for the trees.

The Psalm is talking about God! How God does everything to be glorified himself!

"But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever,
the purposes of his heart through all generations." - Psalm 33:11

How often I look into me, instead of realising with all my heart that it's all about Jesus! All about him! Oh, for an undivided heart.

*I had to look up the very last phrase. So, I didn't remember it all.

1 comment:

freckly said...

(hahaha fine print.)

so true with what you said about how we use the bible to see how it benefits ME. just like today, when i was reminded of my big pile of worries for what to do in the future, the Daily Bread guide had me read Matt 6:24-34. When I used to read that, I always just thought 'ah yes I shouldn't worry I should trust God yes the Bible just comforted ME' BUT today's point was verse 24, that 'no one can ever serve two masters' - it reminded me that to GOD be all the glory and respect and obedience.

anyway...I hope I made sense there.