Friday, 16 January 2015

Ruminatin' on work



Today I read Colossians 3-4 so I'm thinking a little about work.

Everyone has roles in life.

Mine is of daughter and worker. I'm also a church member.

I can do these jobs all day without thinking about why I do them. That's not good. Because the less I think about the kind of daughter I'm being, or the kind of worker I am being, or the kind of church member I'm being, the more likely it is that I am disobeying God. I'm just acting according to my human nature and instinct.

Paul in Colossians says that all the things I do in life should be to please the Lord Jesus Christ, because he will be the one who provides the reward.

I think about all the times at work when I have not received the promotion I know I deserved (and have received more pressure instead!). Or as a daughter, when my mother makes a judgement about me that seems unfair. Or as a church member - the many times I have experienced being rejected (not by the church I attend now).

Paul says that the reward for all the good I have done (because by Jesus' strength I can do good!) will come. I just have to wait.

That's good isn't it. This world is not at all just or fair.

The promise is that God is just and fair and will bless me rightly.

"When Christ who is your life appears, you also will appear with him in glory". Colossians 3.

No comments: